Monday, January 11, 2010

Task 1: Designing Eco Retail





For some reason I didn't think there would be any homework when I studied abroad...ha! I should have known better, interior design studios don't slow down for any one even if you're across the world. Well I was assigned my project the first day of class for my retail design studio and I am actually really excited! Being in such an amazing city has given me loads of inspiration already. I have already been creeping in a lot of stores and trying to take pictures, I hope thats acceptable here...
Well the brief for the project is to design a multifunctional space that can host different environmental groups (ie: Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth) where they can display their work and solutions on problems like climate change, fair trade and decreasing damage to our environment.
The building site for this project is just down the street and is the Natural Kitchen which is also a neat concept because it is a fresh grocery store but also serves as a restaurant. However for this project, the space will serve as a gallery, theater/conference room, restaurant, retail clothing store, cafe and rooftop terrace. The goal of the space is to attract people from off the streets in and to educate them about world issues and problems that these different organizations are dealing with and what we can do to help.
I have to say I was expecting this studio to be designing a fun, high end retail boutique but I think I am going to get a lot more out of this project. I am excited to see how the end will turn out, for the mean while I'll keep you posted with my ideas ...

Here is my concept board of images that I researched and was inspired by...I am going off the idea of old tree trunks and how the growing rings spread and evolve (similar to how the organizations will grow and reach the community) year after year from sunlight and water (elements that will be in important in my space). I also found there is quite a bit of really neat sustainable clothing lines out there, the images I found are from goodone.com.

Sorry this is a bit long, I am just so excited to tell you about my project--I am still trying to figure out this blogging thing :)
PS: Click on images for better resolution...


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your blog! It's very impressive....and I am not saying that just because I'm your dad! I love the name and theme. What a great way to keep us all current AND be learning more about digital marketing...it will def help you in your career. Jolly good!!!

    ReplyDelete