Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day Tripping: Greenwich Village










This weekend a bunch of us studying abroad ventured out to Greenwich for the day (1 hour boat ride out from London, going under the infamous London Bridge and Towers) despite the freezing weather which to me felt like it was -10 out. We explored Greenwich, (a charming village right on the waterfront) for a good amount of the day. I was able to see the huge Greenwich palace with King Henry VII lived and the painted hall and chapel which were incredible especially the fact they were built in the 1400's!


"Painted Hall" - Greenwich Palace

The village itself isn't too large and filled with fun shops, markets and the Maritime Museum. A bunch of us found a fun pub right on the water and ordered our first official fish and chips in London. So good especially since I have been living off pasta all week to save a couple of pounds ha.
On the way out, I discovered the greatest decor store that was filled with gorgeous, vintage mirrors, dressers and chandeliers! To say the least I fell in love and will go back an hour just to go back to that shop...

With the freezing cold weather here in London and snow that I had planned or packed for I was honestly in desperate need of some "wellies" (rubber boots haha). I happened to find a perfect pair of black, floral Hunters for a pretty pound but I think they will be a great investment for the next 5 months here...

All in all, it was a very successful day trip to Saturday--Shelby and I even managed to navigate our way back to the city by ourselves through the light rail and tube after barely missing the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment